Sal has blue eyes and wears a prosthetic face which is usually seen as creepy by others. It is primarily white with a darker patch over the right eye. He keeps his bright blue hair tied up in two pigtails and has two piercings in each ear. Sal is most consistently seen wearing a black sweater, ripped red jeans, and blue and white sneakers.
While out in the snow he wears a pair of blue fingerless mittens and green earmuffs.
Throughout the series he is also sometimes seen with his hair out of the pigtails, and in flash-forwards he wears his hair down and is wearing an orange prison jumpsuit.
Sal is an adventurous teenage boy. He seems to be resourceful and has the ability to keep his cool during stressful situations, as seen through his interactions with ghosts. He comes off as friendly and polite regardless of rude or frightened responses he may get from people who are reacting to his prosthetic, and is openly affectionate of his friends. Sal frequently offers a listening ear or kind word to others, even to those who have been unfriendly to him, as evidenced in Episode 3 when he comforts a crying Travis in the boy's bathroom. His compassion and willingness to help people regardless of their appearance or standoffish behavior is demonstrated time and again. Though he is a kind person, Sal is capable of snapping back at those who try to hurt him through the use of sarcasm. In Episode 3, his quick wit is demonstrated in response to bullying from Travis. He does not report the resulting punch in the face from Travis, however, and he does not correct comments made towards him out of ignorance rather than malice (such as when Miss Rosenberg misgenders him), suggesting that he doesn't like confrontation. He also does not seem to approve of violence, as he protests when his friends even jokingly threaten to kill Travis for bullying Sal. In flash-forwards, Sal appears to be significantly more jaded and less trusting of others. He is well educated and enjoys learning, though he is seen seemingly wandering off in class. It is not known whether or not this is common.
Sal at Age 5
The Fisher family went on a picnic. Diane told Sal to wait until Henry come back to let them know that it’s safe to go to the picnic. Henry convinced Diane that get a doggy and she agreed, Sal went to a tree and wait for Diane to rejoin him. Next thing Sal could remembered was that he surprised with his face tearing off and his right eye went missing. He worked his way to the park lot and walked up to an ambulance, finding his mother lay there dead.
At the hospital after Sal got his head check up and bandaged, he started to recalling the horrible of how he got attacked. He begun to see various resemblance of the dog as he wandered through the hospital to find his father. Once he found his father, Henry mumbled that Sal was not his son and his son was not a murderer. Henry faded into a chalk outline on the wall, and further in the room, the line “THIS IS YOUR FAULT” was written in blood. When Sal progressed past this room, he entered a morgue containing the corpse of his mother, Diane, in a hospital bed.
Later, after Sal got his face cleaned up and begun to wear prosthetic mask, Sal and Henry moved to Nockfell, where they attended Addison Apartments and took Room 402. Sal wandered around the apartment complex and met various people, especially Lisa. Lisa asked him to become friend with Larry, her son. Sal met Larry and became fast friend.
- Whilst his name is Sal, people frequently call him "Sally" or "Sally Face."
- Sal reclaimed the name "Sally Face" from his former bullies.
- Sal has a cat named Gizmo.
- It is confirmed that Sal takes medication (which is seen in his room) for anxiety, depression, and migraines.
- Sal's right eye is glass, as can be seen at the beginning of Episode 2 when he wakes up in the middle of the night after a nightmare. In this scene, his prosthetic face is removed and his hair is down to cover his face, exposing only his left eye. His glass eye is in a cup of water on his bedside table.
- Sal's unnatural hair color seems to have come from his father, since his mother is blonde.
- Sal plays electric guitar, as shown by the guitar and amp in his room.
- Sal's favorite types of music are rock and metal, though he likes a little bit of everything.
- Sal's best friend is Larry.
- Some fans theorize that Sal's facial disfigurement may have been caused by a dog attack.
- Sal could wanted to pat a dog, but he didn't know that a dog was not tamed.
- Since Sal born in December 20, he is a Sagittarius.
- Sal is an estimated 115 lbs.
- Sal's birthstone is a blue zircon.
- Whilst Sal is male, he doesn't seem to care how people perceive him, or about traditional gender roles, as evidenced by his traditionally feminine hairstyle, and how he didn't bother to correct Ms. Rosenberg when she referred to Sal as a girl. In addition, in Episode 2, upon meeting Megan for the first time, she tells him "pigtails are for girls, silly!" to which he responds that nobody ever said only girls could wear their hair in pigtails, and that he likes the style, too. This lack of regard for gender conformity has lead a lot of fans to happily "headcanon" Sal as trans/nonbinary.
- In Russian, Sal's nickname "Sally Face" is translated as "Salli-kromsali", which literally means "mangled Sally".
- If his teeth start to hurt, Sal would just try to use the bathroom or just shove his hand under the mask and he takes it off in public would only happen if it were an emergency since his face is private and hidden. 
- When he’s eating, he can unbuckle the bottom straps and bring food under it, without revealing anything. Therefore, Sal would like apple sauce because it’s easy for him to eat with his mask on.
- Sal hasn’t had to take any photo IDs for anything. In the future, he’ll have to remove his prosthetic to take ID photos. He would be ID’d like anyone else.
- Steve Gabry, the developer of "Sally Face", said that Sal is his favorite character in the game during an interview.